Thursday, April 19, 2012

Home

Home is where I can be myself,
where I don’t need to pretend in order to please.
Home is the job I can’t wait to wake up to go to,
Special Assistant to the Director of the ABP.
Home is the friend I feel inner peace around.
Home is wherever I can make a difference.
Home is where my daughter is healthy and happy,
where she played with rabbits by the Euphrates
instead of breathing smoke in Baghdad
Home is a warm slice of my mom’s cake with a glass of cold milk.
She experimented with the recipe over the years
in an attempt to make it healthy, yet addictive;
a recipe I still fail to bake the way she does.
Home is the smell of the cloud that rises
from my dad’s Cohiba cigar,
and Erinmore Flake tobacco
when he smokes his pipe.
Home is in his eyes,
in his voice, in his presence.
Home is bigger than a building,
A country, a continent
Home is the world.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely way of putting it - and it's so true about you, Asmaa.

    Magda

    ReplyDelete